Measures include preliminary testing of local people; creating checkposts for medical screening of persons entering and leaving the area; regular sanitization of public places and creating quarantine centres; regular inspection of procurement centres
Local administrations at district and village levels continue taking various measures to check the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. Some initiatives which may be followed by others as examples of best practices are –
Karnataka: To carry out preliminary tests of the villagers, Gram panchayat provided thermal scanner to ASHA workers in Uyyamballi Hram Panchayat of Kanakapura Tehsil of Ramanagara district.
Punjab: Sarpanch of Hara village in Pathankot district of Punjab has been inspirational in taking potential measures to keep the Panchayat safe. She carried out door to door campaign to explain to families on preventive measures for COVID-19. She stitched face masks by herself. She closed roads linking other villages and made check posts at all entry points to the village. The government school has been converted into an isolation ward under the Sarpanch’s supervision.
Rajasthan: Initiatives taken by Gram Panchayat – Jayal in District Nagaur regarding COVID -19 pandemic.
- Sanitization: – Regular cleaning operations are being carried out and sodium hypochlorite is being sprayed in villages.
- Masks are being distributed in the Gram Panchayat.
- Ration is being distributed by the Gram Panchayat officials and the social organizations. Cooked food is being served to the homeless.
- The centers of relief materials are being inspected from time to time by higher officials.
- People are encouraged to provide cooked food and other food items to the needy people.
- Based on the advisories a quarantine centre (the Gram Panchayat school) was set up by Gram Panchayat.
- Along with ration distribution, fodder for abandoned cattle is also being provided by a social service organization.
- Instructions given by the government to the people to stay at home for protection from corona are being publicized to reach as many people as possible using information board, loud speakers and other means.
Telangana : District Magistrates in Telangana made surprise visits to the village procurement centers to inspect any irregularities occurring at procurement centers. Yadadri and Bhainsa Collectors visited several villages to inspect the processes in first hand, and assured farmers of a transparent and accountable system for Food Grain Procurement.
- Mahila mandals of Duni panchayat (Kinnaur district) are stitching face masks with their own money. These women are preparing more than 200 masks per day and distributing in the panchayat especially to the poor labourers.
- Gram Panchayat Gobang of Ropa Valley (Kinnaur district) has sanitized all the public places, and government institutions in the panchayat area. The panchayat is regularly motivating the villagers to follow the social distancing and lockdown strictly.